Camaraderie and s’mores

I needed both yesterday.

My progress went from:

2012-05-29 17.28.19

To:

2012-05-29 17.38.07

Ok, so I needed a beer too, when my canoe capsized into the Frog Pond.

It was a rough lesson learned – before starting a pattern, take advantage of Ravelry’s wonderful interconnected databases, and check out the linked projects. Granted, for Abalone, that’s a lot of projects…but just skimming them would have saved me from having to frog. I know that, because I was just skimming them when I found a project that started with ominous notes about “what I should have done…”

What she–and I–should have done, was taken the initial measurement you use to calculate your stitches, and subtract the 4″ for the edging before doing the calculations. In retrospect, it makes sense when looking at the pictures, but the pattern doesn’t say that explicitly, and the schematic doesn’t include measurements.

And of course, I’d already knit past all the increases in the curve to my 100% of stitches. So I slipped all the stitches onto waist yarn and had Steve help me wrap it around my chest.

Yep. It was going to be too big once the edging was added. That left me with 4 options:

  1. Just keep going and end up with a cardigan that overlaps in front.
  2. Gradually decrease the extra stitches between where I was and the armholes.
  3. After recalculating my stitch counts, frog back to where I’d reached the new 100% of stitches.
  4. Frog it and start over.

I immediately eliminated #2. As it was, I’d accidentally done a few extra increases and had 6 too many stitches that I was decreasing out. After I did the math, that gave me another 20 stitches to decrease – at my gauge, 5″. That was going to change the shape of the sweater more than I wanted. For the same reason, #1 wasn’t an option. It wasn’t just the front that was going to be too long – it was going to be too wide across the back unless I changed where the armholes were placed, which would mean it would hang poorly.

And really, the same considerations eliminated #3 – the number of cast on stitches to shape the bottom of the curve are calculated as a percentage of the total stitches, and I had too many. That would mean a flatter, shorter curve.

Option #4 it was.

Once I stopped pouting over the unexpected capsizing, I decided to treat this as an opportunity. As I’d been knitting version 1, I’d been thinking of some changes I would have liked to have made if I’d done more advance planning. For one, I prefer knitting from the top down – I find it easier to size the item to fit, especially when figuring out when to break out the armholes. For another, I’d rather shape the curve with short rows than with increases (or decreases, if knitting top down).

So, I posted to my Camp Loopy canoe (the Brown/Black Canoe) in The Loopy Ewe group on Ravelry, and received many condolences, offers of virtual chocolate, and shared stories of similar backwards “progress.” It was very much like a campfire without the smoke in my eyes (and my year) or the mosquitos. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the actual makings for s’mores, but I made do…

2012-05-29 23.14.01

..and got back to work.

This entry was posted in Knitting, Projects and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

3 Responses to Camaraderie and s’mores

  1. [...] know that some of you have had some Camping setbacks, which are unavoidable at any summer camp, but I hope that recovery is straightforward and things [...]

  2. Dani says:

    Sorry you had to re-start that just sucks!

  3. [...] finished my Project One, Campy Copper Abalone, in good time despite a setback. I did end making a virtue of the necessity of frogging by changing the pattern to knit it top down [...]

Leave a Reply

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>