I’m getting back at it by revisiting some old designs. First up on my to-do list is No Capes!
No Capes! was originally published in Petite Purls, which is no longer online. As the rights have returned to me, I’ve decided this is a good time to fix a few things with the original design that I didn’t like, and to expand the sizes a bit. The original yarn has been discontinued, so I’ve decided to work it up in two new options: Berroco Weekend and Universal Yarn Cotton Supreme. And for fun, I’m going to add a few more charted words that can replace the original “Super.”
Bowling Shirt Polo is next.
Like No Capes!, I’d like to rework the design a bit, and I’ll probably expand the size range here too. But again, like with No Capes!, the biggest issue is the original yarn being discontinued. This will also get worked up in two new yarns: O-Wool Balance and Berroco Remix, which I think is a really fun yarn with great colors.
I also need to re-release (or not) two patterns that were originally published by Three Irish Girls, where the rights have reverted back to me. Diamond in the Sky was the very first design I ever wrote.
I’d need to reknit the samples anyway as the picture rights aren’t mine (these pictures were the quick and dirty ones I took for my project page, and not good enough for publishing a pattern with), and Lexie has long outgrown both (even if I had them both; the skirted version went to my niece). I’m not in love with the lace pattern I used anymore, so I swatched up some options until I found one liked.
And, in a familiar refrain, I’m switching up the yarn. Diamond in the Sky was meant for mixing up semi-solids and variegated yarns, and I looked for pairings that were both subtle and vibrant, and that showed that the yarns didn’t have to be originally dyed as part of a set in order to work. I chose Malabrigo Rios and Dream in Color Classy.
No, not all of those yarns will become a Diamond in the Sky; I spent a lot of time playing with combinations (and disregarding Lexie’s demands that I pair just the semi-solid purple and pink) and will be using the other yarns in later designs.
As for the other former Three Irish Girls design, I haven’t yet decided what I’m going to do with Twisted Diagonals Jacket.
I loved the look of the stitch pattern but it was problematic due to the compressed row gauge. The smaller sizes were fine, but when I actually started knitting up a larger size I really didn’t like it. Nor was I a fan of the yarn I chose. I’m going to have to do a lot of playing with the stitch pattern before I decide whether that design will be re-released.
Two other designs are eventually going to get quick make-overs: Little Miss Mopsey needs new yarns (the original is discontinued) and I’m planning to add a “winter” version; and Mossy Bells just needs a new yarn. I’ve had requests to size Mossy Bells up to adult sizes, which is something I’d like to do at some point – but there’s more than enough on my plate for now!